KEY to - Editing - Punctuation and ReArrange Words

 Editing:

Question 1.

Use capital letters, full-stops, commas and inverted commas wherever necessary in the following paragraph. Rewrite the paragraph in the space given below.

My little 10 years daughter Sarah was born with a muscle missing in her foot and wears a brace all the time, she came home jumping up and down one beautiful spring day to tell me that she had competed in “field day”- that’s where they have lots of races and other competitive events.

because of her leg support my mind raced as I tried to think of encouragement for my sarah i wanted to tell some hard facts of life not letting this to get her down But, before I could get my word out, she said, Daddy, I won two of the races! I couldn’t believe that! and then Sarah came out with a declaration, I had an advantage.

Ah, i knew it. i thought she must have been given a head start, some kind of physical advantage, but again, before I could say anything, she said, Daddy, i didn’t get a head start… my advantage was that i didn’t give in i had to try harder!

That’s my Sarah.

(Steps to English, Workbook for Class X, NCERT, 2003, PP. 39-40

[An extract from Chicken Soup for the Soul, by Stan Frager])

Answer:

My little 10-year old daughter, Sarah, was born with a muscle missing in her foot and wears a brace all the time. She came home jumping up and down one beautiful spring day to tell me she had competed in “field day” – that’s where they have lots of races and other competitive events.

Because of her leg support, my mind raced as I tried to think of words of encouragement for my Sarah, I wanted to tell some hard facts of life, not letting this to get her down. But, before I could get my word out, she said, “Daddy, I won two of the races!” I couldn’t believe that! And then Sarah came out with a declaration, “I had an advantage.”

Ah, I knew it. I thought she must have been given a head start, some kind of physical advantage. But again, before I could say anything, she said, “Daddy, I didn’t get a head start… my advantage was that I had to try harder!”

That’s my Sarah.

Question 2.

Rearrange each set of words to make sentences. Use appropriate punctuation marks.

(a) a resident of Noida near Delhi/is visually impaired/ George Abraham.

(b) confidence and competitive spirit/and infuses discipline among the participants/ it provides

(c) he has helped/the brain behind the World Cup Cricket/the disabled to dream

(d) to the blind school in Delhi/it was a chance visit/ that changed his life


Answer:

(a) George Abraham, a resident of Noida, near Delhi, is visually impaired.

(b) It provides confidence and a competitive spirit and infuses discipline among the participants.

(c) He has helped the disabled to dream, the brain behind the World Cup Cricket.

(d) It was a chance visit to the blind school in Delhi, that changed his life.



Comments