Reading Comprehension Practice - 2

Read the following paragraph carefully and answer the questions that follow.

I always enjoy the drive into Marley. It is a good straight road, with some pleasant views of the countryside on either side. There are woods and hills, villages and farms and, about halfway, a large lake. And because there is rarely much traffic on the road, I can usually enjoy the view as I drive along.

I was rather annoyed the other morning, therefore, when a small green car began to drive very close behind me. I went a little faster, hoping to leave the car behind. But whenever I slowed down, the little car caught up with me. The driver, a middle-aged man, was grinning and waving to me. However, I did not recognize either him or the car.

Again, I began to drive a little faster but the car caught up with me whenever I slowed down. “Perhaps I am doing something wrong,” I thought. I checked my lights and my indicator, but they were both in order. And I certainly had not got a puncture. The man was a lunatic, I decided. Feeling rather cross, I drove off very fast, leaving the small green car behind. I did not slow down until I got to Marley.

There are some traffic lights just before you cross the railway bridge into Marley and, as it happened, the lights turned red as I approached. I was still waiting there when the little green car caught up with me.

The driver got out and tapped on my window. I opened it. “Can I help you?” I asked rather coldly. “I’m trying to help you,” the man said. “You see, your number plate fell off about fifteen miles back. I tried to attract your attention, but you didn’t take any notice!”

Answer the following questions based on the reading:

1. Choose the right answer.                                                                                                 

1.      The driver of the small green car annoyed Alex because he wanted to:

(a) enjoy the view (b) drive slowly (c) stop halfway

2.      Alex got away from the small green car by:

                (a) driving very fast (b) checking his lights (c)waving to him

2. Give the words or phrases for these pronouns.                                                            

  • 1.       He usually enjoyed them as he drove there.
  • 2.       He drove very fast because he wanted to leave it behind.
  • 3.       He checked them in case something was wrong.
  • 4.       He stopped there because they were red.
  • 5.       He tapped on it because he wanted to speak to him.
  • 6.      I’m trying to help you.

3. Answer these questions in not more than 20-40 words.                                

  1. What was the road to Marley like?
  2. Why did Alex usually drive slowly?
  3. Who was in the small green car?
  4. What did the driver of the small green car do?
  5. Did Alex know the driver of the small green car?
  6. What did Alex do before he drove off very fast?
  7. Did Alex stop before he got to Marley?
  8. Why did Alex stop at the railway bridge?
  9. What did the driver of the small green car tell Alex?
  10. Was Alex pleased (do you think)?





Comments